Monday, March 8, 2010

a DYI eco friendly project: recycled crayons



here is a project i found on http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/make-your-own-recycled-crayons.html

I am so trying it out

here is the instructions:
Melt down and remold your kiddies' crayon stubs into colorful, fun-shape crayons they can have a second go-around with. Here's how:

1. Preheat the oven to 150°F. Remove the paper from around the crayons and chop them into 1/4-inch pieces. You can either sort the colors by color family, or mix them up into piles of contrasting hues.

2. Line your baking tins-you can find tins with all kinds of novelty shapes these days-with tin foil or foil baking cups, and place your crayon pieces in the molds.

3. Place the tins in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or just until the crayons have melted


I never thought it was THAT easy... I was about to go out any buy my own crayon making machine... but now im gonna save me some money and just buy wax paper... whoohoo!

Make sure yo follow the directions... because I didnt cut each of my crayons to a quarter inch, some were larger, but i did make sure each was under an inch... and well i left it in for longer, much longer than it was supposed to be... so mine came out pretty weird looking...

also... make sure you can live with out the mold you use...
I coated my cupcake pan with aluminum foil...and somehow, the wax seeped through the foil and coated my cupcake pan... so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment